IV Sedation and Hospitalization

There are different types of sedation available for your child’s dental procedures and sometimes IV sedation or general anesthesia provided in a local hospital is necessary for the best treatment and comfort for your child. IV sedation is used when your child needs extensive dental work or they are too young to have advanced dental work and remain stabilized for the procedure. According to HealthyKids.org:

Deep sedation: This involves intravenous (IV) medications to help your child sleep through the procedure. While your child may still move a little and sometimes make noises, he or she may not be able to breathe well on his or her own. There must always be at least one additional qualified professional (independent observer), such as an anesthesiologist (see Who's Who list below) who can monitor your child's heart rate, heart rhythm, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation (breathing) during the procedure and until he or she wakes up. This professional can also determine when your child is ready to go home.

General anesthesia: Under general anesthesia, your child will be completely asleep and pain free. Specially-trained anesthesia professionals (physicians, dentists, or certified nurse anesthetists) will administer medications and monitor your child while a separate dentist or oral surgeon performs the dental procedure or surgery. Anesthesia can be given in a dental office that is specially equipped, an ambulatory surgical center (ASC), or a hospital. 

If IV sedation or general anesthesia are required, please be assured that we will always be there to accompany your child during the process and are available to answer any questions. In fact, to enhance safety, in 2019, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) updated the current guidelines for dentists and oral surgeons to follow when providing deep sedation or general anesthesia to children. 

It requires that there are always at least 2 people in the room who are trained to provide advanced life support measures in case there are any problems. One of these people will be the dentist or oral surgeon performing the procedure and the other will be an independent observer. This independent observer must be "a physician anesthesiologist, a certified registered nurse anesthetist, a second oral surgeon, or a dentist anesthesiologist."

To learn more about pediatric dentistry and sedation, click here: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/oral-health/Pages/Anesthesia-or-Sedation-for-Your-Childs-Dental-Work.aspx